Bankruptcy, Workout and Restructuring
The Bankruptcy, Workout and Restructuring Department provides expert, sophisticated and practical legal counsel to our clients in the areas of debtor and creditor rights, including advice in connection with the impact of distressed financial conditions, whether in bankruptcy or out of court.
- Our Clients include financial and banking institutions; committees; trustees; plan administrators; landlords and other real estate entities; various public and privately held companies and other business entities; officers, directors and individuals, as debtors, creditors and other parties involved in distressed situations.
- Our Attorneys have broad experience in resolving difficult debtor-creditor issues for a wide range of businesses, including banking, financing, real estate, retail, wholesale, manufacturing, service industries, restaurants, the hospitality industry and high tech sectors. Our attorneys regularly litigate commercial issues in bankruptcy cases; have served as mediators, adjunct professors and trustees; have lectured extensively on various complicated legal matters, and presently serve as leaders on the Board of Directors of many not-for-profit companies, trade organizations and bar associations.
- Specialties include preparation of restructuring and workout related documents, company wind-downs, lender liability issues, litigating preference/avoidance actions, mediation, analyzing merger transactions for possible bankruptcy/insolvency impacts; handling all aspects of loan modification transactions, insolvency proceedings and defense of claims, including lien priority and title-related claims, and evaluating complex commercial insurance programs and claims for policyholders, trustees and committees.
- For Our Banking and Financial Institutional Clients, our attorneys assist in analyzing solutions to address borrower monetary and non-monetary defaults, including preparation of forbearance agreements and other related workout and restructuring documents, loan documents and when necessary collection litigation in conjunction with our Commercial Litigation Department.
- In Bankruptcy Cases, our attorneys handle a wide variety of motions and pleadings, including preparation of disclosure statements and plans of reorganization, sale motions, asset purchase agreements, bid procedures and more -- from complex restructuring transactions to simple proofs of claim.
We work frequently with the Corporate, Real Estate and Commercial Litigation Departments in our Firm to meet the needs of the Firm’s clients in all situations.
Practice Area Members